The Norman Chamber Aviation/Transportation Committee monitors aviation and transportation issues relevant to the Norman community and promotes aviation in Norman and the Max Westheimer Airport as valuable community assets. Representatives from the City of Norman and the University of Oklahoma are in attendance to provide relevant updates. The Annual Norman Aviation Breakfast and Festival are projects of this committee.
Meets every other second Tuesday from 11:30am – 1pm (even months only)
Max Westheimer Airport, 1700 Lexington St., Room 205
Chair: Craig Parker, Silver Star Construction
Staff: Melissa Peterson
General Transportation Goals
- Communicate future transportation plans of the City of Norman, Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT), and the University of Oklahoma (OU) to members of the community.
- Maintain communications with and facilitate an open flow of information between ODOT, the City of Norman, OU, Norman Public Schools, and the Norman community. Provide appropriate assistance to these entities in accomplishing their projects.
- Provide a channel of communication between businesses affected by road construction projects and the City of Norman, ODOT, or other appropriate entities and advocate mitigation measures to assist businesses affected by the project.
- Serve as resource for transportation issues through coordination, as needed, with other groups.
- Support efforts to maintain funding and seek additional state and local revenue for transit service to enable the enhancement of services.
- Involve the Norman Public Schools in transportation issues affecting school sites, bus routes, and traffic management.
- Serve as a resource for the Chamber Board in determining and articulating the Chamber’s priorities regarding any proposed changes in traffic flow and reconfiguration of streets and intersections.
- Arrange for a transportation-related program for one of the Chamber’s General Membership Meetings.
- Review revisions of the City of Norman Transportation Plan, as applicable.
- Promote funding for transportation issues for University North Park and State Highway 9.
- Advocate increased funding to support operations and maintenance of state, county and local transportation systems with proportionate allocation.
- If appropriate, seek confirmation of permanent reattachment to the Oklahoma City SMSA from the Federal Highway Administration.
- Monitor and take action as appropriate pertaining to progress of Robinson Street grade separation.
- Support the Chamber’s Aviation Committee’s goals.
- Support efforts to enhance rail transportation in the Norman area.
Aviation Specific Goals
- Pursue the implementation of the Airport Master Plan Update as a guide to assure the development of the highest quality facility of its kind for this community.
- Work with the Norman Economic Development Coalition to support the expansion of existing or attraction of new appropriate firms to the airport.
- Encourage aviation-related businesses to locate in the area.
- Provide a forum for interaction among participants and airport tenants.
- Promote the development of Max Westheimer Airport.
- Lobby for increased aviation funding at the state and federal level.
- Sponsor events to promote the airport to the Norman community such as an annual aviation breakfast and festival.
- Provide committee members with current knowledge of airport facilities, new navigational aids, improvements, and future scheduled improvements.
- Support improvement of infrastructure such as roads, drainage, sewer, and physical security for the airport.
- Broaden the committee to include more users of the airport and people impacted by the airport.
- Articulate specific aviation related items to be communicated to federal legislators during the Chamber’s annual trip to Washington, D.C.
- Promote increasing the tower height and enlarging the controller cab to enable the controllers to see the entire airport.
- Promote and support the educational mission of the OU Department of Aviation.